Beth is a guest lecturer who has delivered talks or taken part in panels in the following areas:
- City University: Online Magazine Journalism panel – 11/02/21
- Student Publication Association: First steps after graduating – online talk – 01/02/21
- News Associates: Entertainment journalism – online masterclass – 29/10/20
- News Associates Summer School: Entertainment journalism – 10/08/20
Beth has chaired the following events:
- Authors Unedited: Dominic Stevenson in conversation with Dr Ryan Martin – 21/02/21
- Authors Unedited: Dominic Stevenson in conversation with Jordan Florit – 07/02/21
- Authors Unedited: Dominic Stevenson in conversation with Sonali Misra – 24/01/21
- Authors Unedited: Dominic Stevenson in conversation with Devon Rowcliffe – 10/01/21
Beth has been featured on/in…
THE SCHOOL OF JOURNALISM
“Beth Kirkbride of the Indiependent ran an entertaining session on culture journalism, exploring music, film, TV, gaming, books and theatre writing. It’s remarkable how much was covered. From looking at what makes a bad review to writing our own, the session highlighted the intrinsic value and importance of culture in shaping society. Writing about and experiencing culture is so important for understanding society. I particularly, perhaps counterintuitively, enjoyed writing a review to a deadline. No swearing took place, but it was a realistic reflection of filing copy before the presses start printing!”
– Noah Keate, News Associates Summer School Attendee via TeaTalks
VIEWS OUR OWN (PODCAST)
Let’s talk about starting your own publication – We spoke to Beth Kirkbride, founder of The Indiependent, all about starting and running your own publication. Tune in to learn what’s most important when you’re starting out, how to grow an audience, how The Indiependent first began and how it has evolved over the years.
JOBS BORED (PODCAST)
George Goldbot – This week on Jobs Bored we’re joined by the fantastic Beth Kirkbride, founder of The Indiependent to talk about written journalism. But how will her avant garde CV fare when it faces our robot CV reviewer?
MAKING A TAYLOR SWIFT FAN IN 40 MINUTES OR LESS
Taylor Swift has a tremendous fan-base worldwide, but not everyone is entirely convinced by her genius. In this episode, two die-hard Swift fans, Imogen Howse and Clara Dijkstra, take on the challenge of convincing the thus far unconvinced Daniel Fessahaye that now is the time to jump on the singer-songwriter’s fan train. Hosted by Steven Lehmann, “Making a Taylor Swift Fan in 30 Minutes or Less” uses facts and figures, imterviews with music industry professionals, and Imogen and Clara’s personal experiences with Swift’s music to advocate for the artist and explore her musical career. Taylor Swift has come back stronger than a 90’s trend, and it’s time we all embrace it.
NEXUS MUSIC BLOG