I’m a gold-standard NCTJ-accredited journalist (with 100WPM shorthand) and editor working with The Star, Sheffield. I graduated from Oxford with BA English Language and Literature in 2018. As music editor of The Indiependent – which I founded in 2014 – I’ve helped edit over 2000+ music articles. I’ve also produced three 68-page print magazines, where I was solely responsible for all the design and typesetting, as well as coordinating the printing and distribution. As a freelance journalist I’ve worked with Cosmopolitan, Metro, The Forty-Five and more.
Gold-standard NCTJ journalism diploma (100WPM shorthand) – News Associates (February 2019 – January 2020)
Audience editor – The Star, Sheffield
(September 2021 – present)
- Developing the paper’s digital strategy, with a goal of growing audience and driving subscriptions
- Attending daily news conferences to advise on content plannong, SEO and social media strategy
- Providing SEO training and guidance to all newsroom staff
- Overseeing homepage management
- Running The Star’s Instagram and LinkedIn pages
- Assisting with Facebook/Twitter management
- Managing Facebook groups for Sheffield wards (hyper local news groups)
- Curating and sending daily Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United newsletters
- Running a daily live news blog
- Producing and updating a weekly ‘Things to do in Sheffield’ blog
- Producing and updating a liveblog for all reader’s letters
- Producing weekly email updates on digital strategy for staff use
- Multimedia coverage of events e.g. The Star’s Small Business Awards
- Presenting and recording daily news bulletins and weekend ‘5 things to do in Sheffield next week’ bulletins
- Do Bridgerton’s ‘raunchy’ sex scenes actually fail the audience?
- More of us should write Do Not Want Christmas gift lists
- Taylor Swift’s ‘Evermore’ – Easter eggs, fan theories and hidden messages in TS9
- Netflix Q3 subscriber results show international markets are its key to success
– Project management
– Adobe InDesign
– Adobe Photoshop
This varied role spanned copywriting, journalism, PR and communications. I wrote and coded weekly student newsletters; produced top-level management communications and crisis comms; wrote and distributed press releases; managed the alumni community, all for the four UK campuses of this international organisation.
News Reporter – South West Londoner
(October 2019 – December 2019)
I produced South West London news content for this local news site:
- Two Met Police officers issued written warnings after ‘concerning’ conduct in Croydon rape case
- Police arrested ten Lambeth Extinction Rebellion activists before fortnight of climate change protests
- Pilot strikes over six-figure salaries leave British Airways customers out of pocket
- Conservative mayoral candidate Shaun Bailey says to London criminals: ‘It’s me and you, bro’
- I’ll help more young Londoners buy their own home, vows mayoral candidate Shaun Bailey
- Care to say hello to Prince Charles? Royal greetings at Buckingham Palace garden party
- Tory councillors: Sutton Link could be derailed by ‘poor management’ of TfL finances
- William Sitwell was victim of ‘political correctness gone mad’, says vegan ex-employee
Freelance Journalist – The Telegraph (unpaid)
(February 2016 – June 2016)
As a student, I wrote two op-eds for The Telegraph:
- Let Cecil Rhodes debate fall, there are broader aims to focus on
- Young people have a right to be angry at Brexit – but not at their parents who voted Leave
I commissioned content for the Music section, and laid eight print editions of the paper.
Music journalist (voluntary) – Gigslutz
(March 2014 – December 2014)
This role involved producing music pieces – including reviews of live shows, albums, tracks and email interviews with bands. I helped the editorial team liaise with PR to organise reviews and Q&A features with bands such as Slaves.
Music journalist (voluntary) – LibertyBelle
(Jun 2014 – August 2014)
Reviewed live shows, albums, tracks and contributed to list features for the Sheffield University-affiliated online magazine. I also helped promote the launch of the website, using social media to raise awareness of the event.
Journalist – What Culture
(January 2014 – March 2014)
This role involved writing list features for What Culture, a digital entertainment website, pitching articles to an editorial team and promoting my work on social media to ensure maximum traffic.
Music editor (voluntary) – Social Sheffield
(December 2013 – April 2014)
This role involved managing social media accounts on Twitter and fostering relations with PR companies to establish the brand.